5.02.2011

locks of love

a friend told me several years ago, as women get older their hair gets shorter. she read, that a woman subconsciously make herself less attractive, after they find their "mate." she relayed that for some, long tresses are used to reel their partners in and then cutting it shorter to take oneself off the market. i have never forgotten this and it's always bothered me. for one, not everyone has long hair. i had short hair in 4th grade and it's been 25 years since my hair has been above my shoulders. most of my childhood, teenage years and adulthood has been spent with hair down my back. i've enjoyed it's versatility and ability to style however i choose - up, down, in a bun, braid, curly straight, down the middle, side part, product, or natural. 

i felt like if i cut it, i was somehow succumbing to a domestic world that no longer enjoyed being sexy and having fun (rubbish!). was i checking off: married, child and impending birthday? would i be proving the theory instead of proving it wrong? but then i was reminded of locks of love. a great organization that makes prosthetic hair pieces for disadvantaged children,  that have lost their hair primarily due to medical conditions. a fellow mom had just done it, my dad grew his buzz cut for locks of love a decade ago and my sister had done it. seemed like the perfect inspiration to  just go for it. it's the first time i really felt, "it's just hair and it will grow back." thanks to mimi for taking such good care of me, in what was a bit of a leap of faith. I LOVE my makeover hair!! it's been so easy, i feel lighter and fresh. the best part, as if a goal i've always had has finally been realized. who knew so much thought and emotion was tied to those locks?
less time on hair = more time with baby

2 comments:

lauriewelsh said...

looks cute from the back now I need to see the front!

jessica said...

thanks laurie! no great front photos yet, but will be sure to post when i have one! hope to see you and that cute family of yours soon.